better to repair transcat roof or replace?

Forums Forums Parts Forum better to repair transcat roof or replace?

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ferguum
    Participant

Having acquired a transcat SWB with hardtop, the roof is rotten around the gutter edges. In fact, they are completely missing around the front. Does anyone know if a land rover roof might fit, or if a repair is the only option? Does anyone happen to have a transcat hard top roof lying around? many thanks

ferguum
    Participant

yikes! have just checked ‘how many left’ and apparently there are on 12 registered UMM’s left on the UK roads.  The one i have acquired was registered in  January 1985, so perhaps is one of the first, and possibly oldest UMM in the UK? What is more, mine has never been MOTed, so the mileage of just under 50K is probably all it has done.

mrmosky
    Participant

Congratulations on buying an old Umm transcat. Have you posted on one of the Umm Facebook sites? People tend to read those more often.

Repairing the roof is always an option. The steel is quite thick and easy to weld. Other that that, you could turn it into a pick-up.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by mrmosky.
    ferguum
    Participant

thank you for replying. Yes, it was the blue transcat on ebay. The good news is that the engine started easily (with a temporary fuel supply), no cracks in block, and the truck moves backwards and forwards. All the rubber hoses are perished (water, fuel), simply falling to bits when you grab them.  So have ordered various silicon hoses via ebay (I assume that original patterns aren’t available, and you have to make up your own patterns using motorsport options?), and the awakening begins. Even the tyres on it are vintage crossply Avon traction mileage, all with full tread. It looks as though the truck has never been used on the road, just run around an estate from new and then parked up in a barn for 20 years.

mrmosky
    Participant

The parts situation is pretty good, with many spares new and used available from Portugal. They speak good English and will post too.

Ummonline4x4 is one of them.

Geoff

mrmosky
    Participant

I have the workshop manual printed out for the transcat. You are welcome to have it, if you don’t have one.

octavioUmm
    Participant

I have a comple roof for sale of the transcat with glasses among many other parts

octavioUmm
    Participant

I have a roof for transcat complete whit glasses

ferguum
    Participant

that sounds perfect – how do i contact you?

ferguum
    Participant

OctavioUmm, could you contact me by text 07775 992 293 please? Ferguum

little-al
    Participant

do you still have the workshop manual dude? ive got a green 85′ transcat

mrmosky
    Participant

I still have most of the manual printed out.  I cleared some stuff out as there was no interest before.

let me know if you want it.

Geoff

martinbrown7967
    Participant

There is an option of repairing the roof. The steel is quite thick you may easily weld. Other than that, you could turn it into a pick-up. my friend modified and made like a pickup truck, now that working great and he is using that for Lockout Service Queens NY.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think replacement is much better than the repairing, Its just my point of view.

ROOF QUOTES

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.