Alter LWB Restoration

Forums Forums UMM Alter II Alter LWB Restoration

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    mrmosky
    Participant

Rear of the UMM is now complete, with the new lower panel fitted. I just need to add a couple of reflectors to the panel. The rear lights are all working well.

mrmosky
    Participant

Back on the front end, the windscreen washers are now fitted and working.  Wipers were fitted too. Just need to change the headlamps and fit the side winker repeaters.

Then we should be ready for the MOT test. Planning for early July, if all goes well.

mrmosky
    Participant

This is it then. Ready for the MOT test. Booked in for the 9th June.  That’s almost exactly 3 years since I started work on it.

mrmosky
    Participant

Today the UMM passed it’s MOT test at the second attempt. Just had to change the front flexible brake hoses, which were rubbing. So now it is back on the road for the first time since 2012.

Next job is to fit out the inside to make it more suitable for camping.

mrmosky
    Participant

mrmosky
    Participant

Added the bull bar today. Looks like she is wearing glasses!

mrmosky
    Participant

In the last few days, I have been making some adjustments. The seat was too low for me, and so I removed the seat and frame and re-welded it at a higher position. Then I felt that the steering wheel was now too low, so I removed the column supports and modified it so that the wheel was a little higher, to give adequate room for my legs underneath. I had thought about doing this on my last UMM, but never got around to it. The driving position is now much better for me, and I am now ready for a longer trip.

mrmosky
    Participant

The first long trip I undertook was to visit Graham Potter in West wales. He is the UK UMM guru, who was largely responsible for keeping the UMM owners club going over many years.

I camped out overnight at his place, and in the evening, visited Aberaeron to give the UMM a look at the sea.

mrmosky
    Participant

The next morning, Graham and his son, got all of their UMM’s out for a line up. Here they are with Graham in the picture.

mrmosky
    Participant

One thing that was clear on the 300 mile round trip was that something would need to be done about soundproofing!  So I ave applied some sound deadening panels, and injected expanding foam in one or two areas – including under the bonnet.  This is what it looked like before trimming off the excess. It seems to have deadened the vibrations, but I will only be able to check the effect on a run.

mrmosky
    Participant

I can report that the sound deadening methods I have used are producing results. The noise has reduced to a bearable level.

Here is what the foam looks like after trimming.

mrmosky
    Participant

And here are some of the self adhesive pads I have applied. I am choosing panels where I can hear a resonance when struck.

mrmosky
    Participant

I have been restoring the dashboard. The nearest colour I could find is called “Brave Ground” by Dulux. It is a pretty close match to the original sandy colour, but is only available in Matt finish. I bought a sample pot to try it out and then overcoated with clear varnish spray. That’s better.

mrmosky
    Participant

To replace the missing headlining, I decided to fit the front cab out in wood panelling. Here is the finished installation, although I will be painting the wood to finish it off properly.

I may do the rear compartment roof in a similar way, but it is a bit of hard work to make it stick.  The noise levels in the UMM are now at an acceptable level.

mrmosky
    Participant

I had noticed one or two oil drips. One seemed to be coming from the engine sump, so I decided that it would be a good idea to change the sump gasket. I’m glad that I did because there was an amount of sludge is the sump, which has probably been washed down with using the car, after a long time sitting unused. So we shall see if the oil drip is cured.

mrmosky
    Participant

Last weekend I took the UMM along to Lichfield “Cars in the Park” . This annual event attracts all kinds of classic cars and is very popular. There was a lot of interest in the UMM. I find that kids especially seem to like it.

mrmosky
    Participant

I found that the air vents on the dashboard, and also the screen vents, were not passing much air when the windows were closed. The reason is because this bodt style does not have any body vents at the rear, unlike the steel roofed versions.

So I fitted a pair of aftermarket vents into the rear panel of the body. This was easy to do as it is fibreglass. The front air vents now work well, even with the windows closed.

mrmosky
    Participant

Additionally, I have now wire-brushed all of the old glue from the fibreglass sides and roof in the rear section. That has been followed by two coats of the “Brave Ground” vinyl silk from Dulux.  That looks better!

mrmosky
    Participant

The campaign against leaks and drips goes on. I noticed that there were drips coming from the power steering reservoir, and then on to the floor. The outside of the reservoir was wet, and so it was logical that the lid seal was leaking.  I ordered a new set of seals from Pecas UMM in Portugal, and have now fitted these. There is the large seal that goes around the edge of the lid and two o rings for the screw that holds the lid down, plus a rubber washer.  There is a small vent hole in the screw which is covered by the top o ring. No drips so far.

mrmosky
    Participant

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to clean the UMM. It obviously didn’t like this as it would not start afterwards.
    I checked a few things and found out that fuel was not getting up to the fuel filter. I therefore decided to remove the fuel tank and clean it out and also replace the fuel hoses – just to be sure.
    The pick up pipe inside the tank has a gauze filter on it and this was probably blocked. I blew air back through it until I was sure the blockage had cleared. Then the outside needed painting. While it was out I took the opportunity to remove the passenger side seat rails, which is impossible with the tank in place.

I will post a picture of the painted tank later on.

Geoff

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.